Zunerama logo   
News: Zunerama: Straight talk on Microsoft Zune. Forums. News. Reviews. All things Zune.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 17, 2014, 02:35:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A simple trick for extending Zune battery life  (Read 8917 times)
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 15, 2006, 10:19:34 AM »

From the Zunerama blog:

Here's a technique that can significantly prolong your Zune's battery life.

Most Zuners turn off their player by pressing and holding the play/pause button for a few seconds.

When you power back on, Zune will bring you back to whatever you were doing when you powered down - whether that be listening to a song, watching a video, viewing a slideshow, listening to radio, and so on.

While that's nice, there's a price! The player uses a little bit of battery power to preserve that information while the player's off. Essentially, the player is going into hibernate mode, ready to spring to life when you turn it back on.

There's a better way to turn it off that saves battery life. You won't find this method in the minimalist "Start" pamphlet that came in your Zune box.

Press and hold the down button on the D-pad, and at the same time press and hold the back button. In three seconds, the player will fully power down.

If you're not going to use the player for a few hours, or if it's just not important to you that it start at your most recent function, this method will keep your battery juiced for a much longer time.

When you do power the Zune back on, it'll display the Zune logo momentarily (about 4 seconds) and then take you to the main screen.

This trick has been well-known in our forums for a while, but I think it warrants highlighting in the blog. For me, it's the most commonly-used of all "undocumented features" of your Zune!

xxxoom
zune overlord

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 10:39:37 AM »

thanks.
Sw0rdf1sh
zune commando

Mmmmyesss?

sw0rdf1shX
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 12:42:30 PM »

I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Thx for the tip.

A_Str8
zune commando

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 01:46:56 PM »

What other undocumented features are there?

NothingExpected.com - Free songs for your Zune
A_Str8's Zune Card

Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 01:55:24 PM »

There are a few others I'm aware of, like how to reboot the Zune, and how to completely reformat it. In fact, I'm adding those to the Zune FAQ as we speak.

GK86
zune master

You and your third dimension.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 06:13:51 PM »

Thanks for the info. 

Master Shake: But look, I mean...is he gonna be able to chase us? `Cuz if I woke up lookin' like that, I would just run toward the nearest living thing and kill it.
aaron00lee
zune rockstar

Zune, School and Fun...my life in a nutshell

aaron00lee
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 02:24:52 AM »

very cool man, ill remember that

bloodygoreyguy
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 08:04:14 PM »

really helps but i read somewhere on the zune main site that this is not recomended.
could this harm the zune in anyway???
olion597
zune commando

plamotte@chartermi.net olion597
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 08:09:22 PM »

really helps but i read somewhere on the zune main site that this is not recomended.

Not that I know of, unless it does some wear and tear on the hard drive (which I doubt).  The only problem i've found, is that you lose any temporary data.  By temporary data, I mean things like ratings, and (though I havn't tested this particular one out) probably flags.  So if you rate a song, like "Echoes", a 5 out of 5 and shut the Zune off using this way rather than the pause/play method before connecting it to the computer, the Zune will forget you ranked the song.
nymbis
zune commando

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 12:30:20 PM »

Also, if you turn off the device this way, has anyone noticed that it doesn't turn on when you plug the head phones back in? Its kinda of nice actually...
admin
Administrator
zune commando

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 02:38:43 PM »

I haven't come across that - did you find it in the Zune knowledgebase? Let us know a link if you come across it again.

So far, no ill effects on mine - and it definitely does preserve the juice.
pixelsyndicate
zune-ologist

I refused to buy an iPod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 12:04:01 PM »

One issue I have found with the Zune is that plugging in the USB cable the Zune resets itself or it freezes the interface.  I have had to put it into sleep mode (holding down play) and then perform a reset (UP on the D-pad and BACK button simultaneously).

get these userbars @userbars.
ZSocl
Wayneo
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 08:52:05 PM »

Thanks for the tip.  For some strange reason my battery was always dead at the end of the day when turning it off the normal way (holding the play/pause button down for 3 secs).  It was eight hours or so later fro the time I turned it off.  I don't know if I have a battery issue here or not.  If someone out there has a similar issue I would like to know.  In the mean time I think this tip should do the trick.  Thanks a bunch here!
datumpirate
zune commando

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 09:25:05 PM »

Thanks for the tip.  For some strange reason my battery was always dead at the end of the day when turning it off the normal way (holding the play/pause button down for 3 secs).  It was eight hours or so later fro the time I turned it off.  I don't know if I have a battery issue here or not.  If someone out there has a similar issue I would like to know.  In the mean time I think this tip should do the trick.  Thanks a bunch here!
Try checking out the help section.  Similar problems were had.  Which Zune do you have?

tdman77
lil zuner

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 08:57:14 AM »

Very nice tip. Doing this my zune wil last for more than a day now. thanks!!!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List