Zunerama logo   
News: Have you seen our Zune Buyer's Guide?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 17, 2014, 10:30:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ChikaZune - Big version Now available  (Read 20499 times)
Zunadu
zune-ologist

I'll take the brown one

View Profile WWW
« on: January 13, 2007, 06:16:45 PM »

I've sent the mod a version of ChikaZune to test out.

What is ChikaZune?

Zune doesn't have a chat program to take advantage of the built in wireless, but we can send pictures and music back and forth.  Well, I took advantage of the picture sharing part and created a compilation of preset common remarks, questions, answers, etc. in image format. I call it ChikaZune.  Chika in my langue means 'talk'.  You simply send these images to each other. While this is an unconventional way of chatting, it's better than nothing.

Harvey, the Zunerama head mod, has been working with me to squash a few errors that came up.  Once I can get those fixed then it will be out in the next few days.

I can't help but to say thanks to Harvey and Zunerama for helping me out with this test that turned into a full blown project.

Zunadu
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HERE IT IS!

ChikaZune & ChikaZune Lite is now available FREE for download (Get Lite or Get Big) Or you can visit http://www.chikazune.com and download it there.  Lite consists of about 100 words and phrases and the big one about 1200.

Installation:

1. UnZip to a folder that the Zune software DOES NOT see, like a temp folder or your desktop.

2. You must Drag and drop the entire folder to the Zune software's queue sync area MANUALLY then click 'Start Sync'.

3. Wait for the copy to finish.

There are about a hundred images to transfer so you may have to wait a few minutes. Longer for the big one.

After the transfer, click open the PICTURES selection on the zune player and 'View By Folder.'

You'll see 5 folders added (4 for the lite):

_0a Greets/Bye's (basic hello's and goodbye's)
_1a Questions (common questions)
_2a Answers (common answers)
_3a Remarks (basic remarks)
_8a Colors (basic colors. Not available in lite version)

The underscores before the folder names simply arranges them at the top of the viewed listings. Underscored folders within the 5 folders are quick access common answers.

Underscores after the name means that the text has an '...' extention. This is to tell the receiver there's a follow up image.

Navigate using the zune device dial for your desired questions or answers and send.

Each image references www.ChikaZune.com so the person you're sending to can visit the link and download the compilation and future expansion sets should the chat library grow.

Any questions, comments or suggestion can be addressed in this thread so please bookmark it.

Enjoy and happy chatting!  I hope you like it.  It's not your typical chat, but it's better than nothing.

Thanks! Chika chika!

Zunadu

« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 04:16:24 PM by Zunadu » Logged

ChikaZune.com - Zune to Zune Chat.  Keep the wireless on.
GK86
zune master

You and your third dimension.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 06:19:37 PM »

Good to hear its going well.  I hope you guys iron out the bugs.  And I can't wait to download it.  Thanks for making such a program.

Master Shake: But look, I mean...is he gonna be able to chase us? `Cuz if I woke up lookin' like that, I would just run toward the nearest living thing and kill it.
dr1v3thru
zune rockstar

Dr1v3thruU
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 06:20:46 PM »

awesome! for this to be even more awesome, everyone needs to know about this. (think how akward it would be if you had a one-sided conversation  Cheesy) i can't wait to see it!!!  Cool

admin
Administrator
zune commando

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 06:26:02 PM »

Yes, let me add my two cents here. I've been playing with the beta for this, and it's a fun way to take advantage of Zune's wireless sharing... and to actually use wireless for simple communications with other Zuners.

Zunadu has put a lot of time and energy into creating a collection of graphics - about 1,000 of them - that contain common chat phrases.

They're organized by folders, and for simple messages, it's actually pretty effective as a way to "communicate" wirelessly between Zunes. I think for some, this'll be a must-have download - e.g. for students to communicate silently in lecture halls and other locations where you're near other Zuners.

So, watch this space, and Zunadu will let us know when the free download is ready for public use!!

- Harvey
dr1v3thru
zune rockstar

Dr1v3thruU
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 06:30:41 PM »

new idea:

is there possibly a way of mass sending the photos so you could communicate with someone that does not have the 'chat pack'?

Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 06:35:41 PM »

new idea:

is there possibly a way of mass sending the photos so you could communicate with someone that does not have the 'chat pack'?

Hmm great question. You can send an entire folder of pictures, so this might be possible, but it would be quite a large download.

However, Zunadu is working on a ChikaZune Lite (or something like that) that would be a smaller subset of the messages - maybe that could be beamed.

Zunadu
zune-ologist

I'll take the brown one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 06:39:02 PM »

new idea:

You can but it won't be in a format easily navigateable.

Each image has a corresponding named folder. The folders are critical because that's how we get the text navigation and the name of the image.

I don't believe that Zune can send and retain folders.  But they can simply download the file once it's out and use their Zune software to transfer.

dr1v3thru
zune rockstar

Dr1v3thruU
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 06:48:15 PM »

ok i have a suggestion then. you may already have this but just in case you don't, how about including an image that tells the other person where to go online if they want to get ChikaZune?

anyway, can't wait to see it!

Zunadu
zune-ologist

I'll take the brown one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 07:20:53 PM »

ok i have a suggestion then. you may already have this but just in case you don't, how about including an image that tells the other person where to go online if they want to get ChikaZune?

anyway, can't wait to see it!

About where to get it is already taken care of. Smiley

ellechim
zune dog

William Murderface Murderface Murderface.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 07:36:17 PM »

AWESOME!
glowbee
zune rockstar

virtualjohn95@msn.com
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 09:56:22 PM »

Very cool. There's been an ongoing discussion here the past few days about how to implement a chat feature on the Zune. Nice to see someone taking the bull by the horns and making an effort. Thanks Zunadu.

Trastan
zune rockstar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 11:56:40 PM »

Sounds great! I was thinking that Zune would fit pretty well as a minor messaging client. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Jander
Global Moderator
zune overlord

Mr. 1000. Professional DJ.

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 01:12:24 AM »

Zunadu has put a lot of time and energy into creating a collection of graphics - about 1,000 of them - that contain common chat phrases. They're organized by folders, and for simple messages, it's actually pretty effective as a way to "communicate" wirelessly between Zunes.

Interesting.  It's like new age note passing. The Wireless feature's possibilities are just about endless. Thanks for your hard work Zunadu.

aaron00lee
zune rockstar

Zune, School and Fun...my life in a nutshell

aaron00lee
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 03:26:28 AM »

This is really cool

Sw0rdf1sh
zune commando

Mmmmyesss?

sw0rdf1shX
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 06:44:05 AM »

I hope we have some graphics that can make milk squirt out of peoples noses at the most inopportune times!

you know like telling a good joke?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List