Zunerama logo   
News: Read the latest in our Zune blog

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2014, 03:46:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft's 3-Year Plan for Zune  (Read 8054 times)
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 21, 2007, 09:33:28 PM »

From the Zunerama blog:

This week revealed some more hints from Microsoft about its strategic plan for Zune. According to Microsoft marketing director Jason Reindorp, the company has a "realistic, three-year plan" for Zune.

"You couldn't get a more entrenched competitor," he said in reference to Apple's iPod. "But we feel really good about the first steps that we've taken."

He noted that the Zune had already captured a 10.2 percent market share in the U.S. in the 30 gigabyte player category, and was on target to sell over a million players by June 30.

"We're not simply trying to play catch up with Apple," he said. "We are very realistic, we have what is essentially a three-year plan to firmly and solidly get on the radar."

Microsoft seems to be planning for Zune to have steady and relentless growth, and to ultimately become a major force in the digital player market.

From the interaction I've had with Microsoft's Zune team, they seemed from the very start to have steeled themselves for a long-haul battle. Which, come to think of it, is one of the things Microsoft does best.

So here we are... two months and one week into that 3-year plan. If the opening weeks are any indication... it's going to be an exciting next few years for Zune.

Thanks to Engadget for the story lead.

Jander
Global Moderator
zune overlord

Mr. 1000. Professional DJ.

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 09:45:55 PM »

The mere presence of wifi on the device opens so many possible developmental doors for the device. I really wonder what we'll have in our hands, and what it'll be capable of in three years.

GK86
zune master

You and your third dimension.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 12:10:11 AM »

I agree with you Jander.  Hopefully it doesn't take MS long to release new features.

Master Shake: But look, I mean...is he gonna be able to chase us? `Cuz if I woke up lookin' like that, I would just run toward the nearest living thing and kill it.
Jander
Global Moderator
zune overlord

Mr. 1000. Professional DJ.

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 12:15:46 AM »

I agree with you Jander.  Hopefully it doesn't take MS long to release new features.

My guess is we see some sort of decent update every six months or so.  Or at least I hope so.

xxxoom
zune overlord

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 07:37:13 AM »

that's all fine and good, BUT... a decent media blitz would help...
sandbe
lil zuner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 12:50:04 PM »

Do you know how to get that 3 year plan?

"To decide our fate. We must understand who we are"
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 01:01:22 PM »

No, that's all I have on it. I imagine there are internal MSFT docs that spell out a grand master plan, but I doubt any details would be released.

I like, though, from the little we've heard, that they're thinking of this in at least a 3-year time frame. And the chatter this week about expanding the model lineup, and expanding the launch area, is very good to hear.

Fraxture
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 01:48:14 PM »

Yea, we aren't privy to the activities of what MS is doing internally. But it's nice they threw us a bone to give us a genreal idea what is going on with the Zune. We are the early crew here, pioneers have ya.  Grin

xxxoom
zune overlord

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 04:38:18 PM »

they definitely need some new models... AND... they need to make more use of the wifi (like accessing zune net without a cable).

those things would further set zune apart from ipod.
sandbe
lil zuner

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 04:46:15 PM »

Well if they come out with that 3 year plan I would get it. Yeah they need to make it like...Able to do more things...Like put games on it or something. Yeah..anyways the Zune and the Ipod look completly different but have pretty much the same things but the wifi seperates everything. Also it would be nice to have longer battery life for the zune. but, if its possible.

"To decide our fate. We must understand who we are"
Dr.zune
zune commando

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 05:22:45 PM »

how bout firmware also? i like my 1G zune and i dont want to renew every 6monthes i just want firmware updates on the Wi-Fi

xxxoom
zune overlord

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 06:04:54 PM »

how bout firmware also? i like my 1G zune and i dont want to renew every 6monthes i just want firmware updates on the Wi-Fi

a lot can (and should) be done with firmware upgrades. if my 1st gen zune is obsolete in a year, i won't buy another one.
xxxoom
zune overlord

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 01:50:05 PM »

are there any rumors about a 60GB or 80GB zune?

i hope so. the 30GB isn't large enough for my entire music collection. so if a 60GB zune comes out, i'd sell my current zune on ebay and buy a new one.

has anyone heard anything?
Ampdawwg
zune-ologist

I'm at the bottom, nothing left to do but climb up

ampdawwg
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 01:55:19 PM »

I wish there was a bigger version of the Zune also. I have an extensive amount of music on my computer too and there is no way it will all fit on the Zune. It sort of sucks that I have to go through and figure out what albums I want to put on my Zune instead of being able to add all of my music.

[http://social.zune.net/member/Ampdawwg]Ampdawwg[http://social.zune.net/member/Ampdawwg]
rj1790
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 02:01:12 PM »

just want a smaller zune... Grin
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List