Zunerama logo   
News: Register to join Zunerama forums!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 21, 2014, 05:11:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zune takes a licking...  (Read 2995 times)
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 12, 2007, 12:36:10 AM »

From the Zunerama blog:

My impromptu, unscheduled field testing of Zune Against the Elements continued this weekend, with my local ski hill Mount Baker again providing the setting.

Saturday's conditions were spring-like, with icy conditions in the shadows and slushy snow in sunny areas. Temperature hit 45 degrees at the ski area's 5,000' altitude - unusually warm for this time of year.

And my snowboarding skills, or lack thereof, again played a crucial part in the field test. The location of this week's calamity was the "Heather" run under Chair 2. Heather is a green run, but has a side route with a short, steep gradient that extends for about 150 feet.

My Zune was again strapped onto my arm with DLO's Action Jacket. The Action Jacket is really made for running, not boarding. It doesn't completely enclose the Zune, so the player is susceptible to the elements, but the jacket is comfortable and is the best thing I've got for boarding with my Zune.

I had dropped my girls off for their downhill lessons, and was solo boarding with my Zune cranked. Music is great when you're solo boarding! I had made several attempts to get down the Heather slope intact, and just was not able to keep my speed checked and my board under control.

On my last attempt, I dropped down over the lip of the slope. Carved a hard left, slowed almost to a stop - good so far, breathe now - carved a clean right turn - okay, still up! - then, uh-oh, blew my next turn, gained speed too quickly, and lost control in a comical wipeout. Board over head, head over board, I helplessly watched the world tumble around me for several revolutions, until I finally stopped as the slope levelled near the bottom.

I got up slowly, awash in wet snow, and waved to the skiers laughing in the chairs above me (two of whom were my daughters). I boarded gingerly down the rest of the hill, and on the chair ride back up remembered to check my Zune. Alarm bells went off under my toque, as I saw that my Zune was embedded in slushy snow. The player was literally dripping when I pulled it from the jacket.

I wiped off the Zune and let it air dry for a few minutes. It never stopped playing. Thanks goodness it seems to have decent water resistance, and it's doing just fine.

I wish I could say the same for my body... which feels like it was run over by a large man riding a bicycle. Oh well, by next weekend I'll be fine - and hopefully my Zune and I will be at it again.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 12:38:09 AM by Zunerama Ed. » Logged

Jander
Global Moderator
zune overlord

Mr. 1000. Professional DJ.

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 12:45:54 AM »

Harv, you might need an Action Jacket for you next time.  Wink

dr1v3thru
zune rockstar

Dr1v3thruU
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 12:49:46 AM »

lol  Cheesy Jander might be right.

inflamesfan018
zune commando

jesterheads united

inflamesfan018@yahoo.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 09:31:50 AM »

at least neither of you were hurt, that would have been bad. then who would've given us these interesting stories?

You taught my heart, a sense i never knew i had, i can't forget the times that i was lost and depressed from the awful truth, how do you do it, you're my Heroine
You won't leave me alone, chisel my heart out of stone, i give in every time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List