Zunerama logo   
News: Zunerama: Straight talk on Microsoft Zune. Forums. News. Reviews. All things Zune.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2014, 10:59:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: will the iphone succeed or flop?
Sell fast at first, then plummet. - 4 (13.8%)
Wild success. - 6 (20.7%)
It will underperform across the board. - 3 (10.3%)
Bad word-of-mouth will sink it. - 2 (6.9%)
Successful, but not huge like iPod. - 14 (48.3%)
Total flop. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 29

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: will iphone i-rock... or i-flop?  (Read 6787 times)
xxxoom
zune overlord

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2007, 06:36:50 AM »

So... in two years time, how will we view the iPhone?

Will it be a huge success like iPod... or an embarrassing flop like apple TV?
AK Water
zune rockstar

Zune + iPod Owner

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 06:43:18 AM »

In 2 years I think the iPhone will still be around, but there is no way its gonna be as popular as the iPod.  I really see it selling OK, but not great.  It still will make Apple lots of money since it is so highly overpriced. 

Zune 30GB Brown | iPod 15GB (3rd Generation)
earbuds: Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating
Also in the household: Zune 120 and Zune 30 (Both Black)
Blackie
zune rockstar

I am a Geek

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 08:36:14 AM »

I agree with AK Water.

Me: posts 299!!!!!! Grin Grin yay!

Bill Gates: "We are not the hardware company that Apple is, but Apple is not the software company that we are"
jerry800
zune commando

Moveover 30, and make space for 80 :]

angry_guy8000@sbcglobal.net
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 08:39:05 AM »

It will have some success but knowing apple they are going to give up until the 2nd generation even yet though it will prob hold like 1/2% of the phone industry. Nice phone though still lacking to be a Jesus phone.

udahman
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 09:03:42 AM »

It will have some success but knowing apple they are going to give up until the 2nd generation even yet though it will prob hold like 1/2% of the phone industry. Nice phone though still lacking to be a Jesus phone.

Hey Mr. Run-on Sentence, your post makes absolutely no sense. Would you like to clarify?
korneel
zune commando

nu_ikke@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 10:41:53 AM »

I think it have everything to become a hype like the iPod. But you can never predict the reaction of the consumer. As I see those prices...  Shocked

mszune.nl - forum mod & blog poster
dr1v3thru
zune rockstar

Dr1v3thruU
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 11:30:56 AM »

successful yes --> you can't deny it. it's an awesome product. of course it could be better though.

as popular as the ipod? --> no. just the price alone should tell you that.

Bond007
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 01:22:21 PM »

There are more people selling the Iphone on eBay rather than actually keeping it.  You would think that people who spent $500 to $600 on a phone would actually keep it, but no they just want it to profit off of all the hype by making triple or double the profit they paid for the phone.  How do I know this?  Zunescene did a review of the Iphone in Phoniex Arizona and were surprised that not too many people as expected showed up and all of them wanted to sell it on eBay.

This means that although Apple sold a lot of iphones yesterday many of them were put on eBay, which is good for international folks and if the Iphone sells out or hard to find.

I think more people actually own a Zune and use it compared to an Iphone, but there is no data to prove this.

http://www.zunescene.com/iphone-review/

xxxoom
zune overlord

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 02:41:39 PM »

i watched the business block on fox news today and most of the analysts predicted that the iphone would flop, or, at least, not be a huge success. only one of the five thought it would be a smash hit.
JohnCz
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 03:59:55 PM »

One of major things going against iPhone isn't the device itself but the exclusive agreement with AT&T.  That secret agreement which was reached back 2005 is exclusive until 2009 or longer.
Palmer Deville
zune rockstar

The White Stripes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 04:23:49 PM »

hard to find.

I think more people actually own a Zune and use it compared to an Iphone, but there is no data to prove this.

At least quote a real source...

Blackfriars Marketing is predicting 500,000 and possibly 1 million in the first weekend.

I'd say either one of those cases will result in iPhone surpassing Zune within a month.

Additionally, you have been reading the web right. Almost evey negative presumption about the iPhone has proved wrong - especially the durability...

And... I love the fact that iPhone are still available... Good luck to all the e-Bay "suck and sell" scum. I've always despised those no talent ass clowns.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 08:47:43 PM by Palmerdeville » Logged

I call 'em like I see 'em - so sue me.
Bond007
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 05:43:23 PM »

Sure Palmerdeville Apple is living up to the hype unlike the Zune, but is the hype really deserved and is Apple an innovative company like everybody thinks?

Lets track the  hype of the Iphone.

1. Steal the Iphone name from Cisco then go to court over it.

2. Claim that the Iphone is that first touchscreen cellphone and that you have patented the touchscreen technology when you were not the first company to come out with a touchscreen cell phone.  In fact touchscreen technology has has existed forever so it is stupid to patent it in my opinion.  BTW LG Prada cellphone was the first touchscreen mobile phone in the world that launched 2 months before the Iphone was announced in Europe and Apple just copied the design, but why doesn't the LG Prada get any respect because they are not Apple and Apple does not have experience that LG has in making cell phones, so I think Apple is getting the benefit of the doubt in reviews due to it.

http://myworldphone.com/lgke850.html

The phone will be available on Verizon the very company that turned down the Iphone, but you can buy it online and put it on any cell phone service you want, so it is not locked to one server for two years like the Iphone and it is competitively priced.  If Apple came up with the touchscreen Tech first why haven't they sued them?

3.  Apple steals an idea from Microsoft Zune during activation for the iPhone.  You actually get to give your Iphone a name. Wow what a brilliant idea.

4. The Iphone has Wifi, but you have to sync your content via Itunes and you have to activate it through Itunes not AT&T and I have heard the the activation for the phone was a nightmare for many costumers especially on launch day.  Just like the Ipod your stuck with Itunes.

5. Iphone claim they want to reinvent the cell phone and consider the Iphone a smartphone, but they are lying to the public because there is nothing to really reinvent in the cell phone market.  What Apple is really saying is they want to reinvent the phones intergrated with music that they think have sucked, so they decided to reinvent it just because they have Ipod and Itunes.  Who does steve jobs think he is?  He wants to rule the whole world with Ipod+Itunes. The Iphone is just an entertainment device, but they used false claims and advertising to make unformed people think it is a smartphone.

6. Apple and AT&T set limits on number of Iphones you can buy to prevent all the crazy eBay selling. In fact you can only buy one Iphone at AT&T.

7. Make an unrealistic prediction of how many Iphones are going to be sold. Steve Jobs claims 10 million will be sold by 2008, but experts and critics say it really should be about 8 million.

Apple is not as innovative as people think and just know how to take existing technology or inventions slap their name on it and make it seem innovative just because it is Apple.  Apple is really brainwashing many Americans and people are just buying the iphone because of all the hype and previous experience with Apple products like the Ipod, but once all the hype wears off and the prices don't drop it will end up being an overpriced piece of junk that nobody wants like Apple TV.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 06:05:29 PM by Bond007 » Logged

Palmer Deville
zune rockstar

The White Stripes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 06:41:54 PM »

Bond.  Simply, Wow.

1.  Apple first used an "i" in front of their products in May 1998. Big Planet's iPhone was announced in Nov 1998. So they both started the "i" around the same time. From 2001-2006 Cisco who then owned the name "iPhone" failed to use it. Many argue that they lost rights to the name because they expired. Of course, they revived it as rumors circulated that Apple was planning a phone. They obviously realized either their rights had expired or Apple's money was too good to pass up, cause they allow Apple to use the name. I personally think Apple would have been better off calling it the "Apple"Phone like "Apple"TV - You know, branding and all, but that's just me.

2. First, neither of the products you mention were the first touchscreen phones. Second, Apple couldn't patent something that already existed. And on experience in making cell phones... It's a consumer electronics device, with which Apple has some serious experience. Hire a few RF and cell phone gurus and you're right up there with every other cell phone manufacturer. How does it matter how much experience the company has when it's employees' have plenty. You do know that you can hire for talent and experience, right.

3. Copying Zune on the naming ability... That's funny. People have been giving their iPods names since 2001.

4. iTunes. The most used online music store and music jukebox. The people who (for some reason) refuse to use iTunes are very unlikely to want an iPhone. CBS News says, "Activating the iPhone was easier than expected."

5. Wow, you're reaching now. When you receive the praises the iPhone is receiving... I'd say they're close to reinventing the phone.

a. CBS News: "the user interface that can best be described as inspired." "...share my first impressions of this innovative device." "My overall thought is that the iPhone’s software represents a truly remarkable accomplishment."
    b. San Francisco Chronicle: "After all the ink that's been spilled describing, previewing and hyping the Apple iPhone, does it deserve the attention? I'd have to say yes." "This Internet, music and cellular device is a game-changer."
    c. CNET: "the Apple iPhone sets a new benchmark for an integrated cell phone and MP3 player." [Remember, almost every consumer cell phone advertises its MP3 player functions.]
   d. Boston Globe: "Not only cool, but very likely groundbreaking." "this phone is important, in the same way that Apple's first Macintosh computer was important. The Mac showed us a better way to interact with computers, and forced the entire industry to follow its lead. Here we go again."
   e. Gizmodo: "iPhone Scientifically Rated (Verdict: Great Call Quality)" Wirelessinfo knows what they're talking about when it comes to cellphone calls. They're the Mythbusters of cellphones." "It scores higher on the frequency response test compared to the BlackBerry 8800, Helio Ocean, LG Prada, Nokia N95 and the Treo 750."
   f. Wirelessinfo.com: "To say the iPhone comes with high expectations is like saying the ocean is a little bit wet." "Our testing looks at the phone's sound quality, the camera's image quality and the touch screen's usability. So does the iPhone live up to the expectations? The answer is a qualified yes."

6. Purchases are limited... Great. I'd rather a company look out for their customers, than create a supply issue which favors eBay scalpers.

7. The only person who will suffer for over estimating the number of Apple iPhone sales is Apple. Therefore I'm wondering, what's your point. Besides it was a goal, not a guarantee. I'm sure Apple thinks they underestimated - they'd want to exceed their goal, not come up short.

As for your conclusion, I didn't realize you were so jealous of Apple - it's really shining through in your latest posts. And to think that so many Americans can be brainwashed by a company which "repackages technology and inventions..." well, I can't think of a comment for that accusation.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 09:23:45 PM by Palmerdeville » Logged

Bond007
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 07:28:55 PM »

5. Wow, you're reaching now. When you receive the praise the iPhone is... I'd say they're close to reinventing the phone.
    a. CBS News: "the user interface that can best be described as inspired." "...share my first impressions of this innovative device." "My overall thought is that the iPhone’s software represents a truly remarkable accomplishment."
    b. San Francisco Chronicle: "After all the ink that's been spilled describing, previewing and hyping the Apple iPhone, does it deserve the attention? I'd have to say yes." "This Internet, music and cellular device is a game-changer."
    c. CNET: "the Apple iPhone sets a new benchmark for an integrated cell phone and MP3 player." [Remember, almost every consumer cell phone advertises its MP3 player functions.]
   d. Boston Globe: "this phone is important, in the same way that Apple's first Macintosh computer was important. The Mac showed us a better way to interact with computers, and forced the entire industry to follow its lead. Here we go again."
   e. Gizmodo: "iPhone Scientifically Rated (Verdict: Great Call Quality)" Wirelessinfo knows what they're talking about when it comes to cellphone calls. They're the Mythbusters of cellphones." "It scores higher on the frequency response test compared to the BlackBerry 8800, Helio Ocean, LG Prada, Nokia N95 and the Treo 750."
   f. Wirelessinfo.com: "To say the iPhone comes with high expectations is like saying the ocean is a little bit wet." "Our testing looks at the phone's sound quality, the camera's image quality and the touch screen's usability. So does the iPhone live up to the expectations? The answer is a qualified yes."

All the sources you mentioned from CNET and so are all Apple butt kissers in my opinion.  They rarely or never give Apple products bad reviews and are basically Apple friendly so of course they are going to say good things about the Iphone and rave about it.  That is why I am waiting for an unbiased review by media sources that don't kiss Apple's butt.  Once Apple starts getting great reviews by media sources that are not pro Apple or seem to be then it would have lived up to all the hype.  Apple has gotten these reviewers distracted by all the cool features that Tech geeks are raving about that they are forgeting about the flaws that could be a big deal for some or many costumers.  In fact more flaws are being discovered as the phone was launched.

People are basically buying a product that has proved that it can perform well.  The phone seems like it works well now, but we will see how it works in like six months and lets hope that Apple did not screw consumers like they did with the Ipod.  Sorry this product is sopposed to last for about a year, a year 1/2 or 2 years then you have to buy a new phone.  I think Apple made the product durable, but I would not be surprised if people have to buy a new phone every year or so because the iphone just won't last that long.  Apple is probably gonna make an Iphone shuffle, Nano, etc. so people can spend more money LOL 

Apple the same company using the same old tricks.  I can't wait to see the people's faces when the new rumored Ipod comes out.  Man I wish I had not bought the Iphone because that new Ipod does what my Iphone does, but it has more storage, cost less, does not make calls or take calls and I don't have to be stuck with a 2 year contract.  Lamfo

BTW I am not jealous of the Iphone I just think there are better phones out there right now or are soon going be better than the Iphone for the price paid for it or less.  Apple has caused companies that make intergrated music cell phones to step up their game and are trying to put them to shame.  I must admit it amazing what Apple has been able to do for a first Gen cell phone and with no major experience in making them like other manufactures like Erikson, Song, LG, etc.  I will give them credit for that but I am still not convinced, brainwashed, or giving into the Iphones hype.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 07:36:07 PM by Bond007 » Logged

Palmer Deville
zune rockstar

The White Stripes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2007, 08:29:32 PM »

Without response, I take it you concede my clarifications to the other six points you so brazenly listed. I'm curious as to your continued contempt for Apple. I simply compare two products (Zune and iPod) based on facts.  You continue to post your negative assumptions about iPhone. It only causes one to question the validity of the rest of your assertions comments.

You've made another comment I have to wonder about.

"...lets hope that Apple did not screw consumers like they did with the Ipod.  Sorry this product is sopposed to last for about a year, a year 1/2 or 2 years then you have to buy a new phone.  I think Apple made the product durable, but I would not be surprised if people have to buy a new phone every year or so because the iphone just won't last that long. "

My iPod photo is going on three years without a hitch, not even battery issues. So I ask:

1. Have you ever owned an iPod.
2. If not, where do you get your information? I hope it's not from the few thousand complaints on the internet out of the 100 million iPods sold. The iPod fail-rate has been shown time and again to be lower than the standard consumer electronics fail-rate.

And finally, 3. Why do you so desperately seek to defame Apple?

Edit: By the way, what does LAMFO mean?

« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 08:54:57 PM by Palmerdeville » Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List