Zunerama logo   
News: Read the latest in our Zune blog

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2014, 05:13:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Admit it, You're all OBSESSED with Apple!  (Read 4476 times)
udahman
zune trooper

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2007, 10:55:30 PM »

I knew that headline would grab some attention.

Before I start, let me first say I'm a long time devoted Mac user, but I use a PC at work. I own several iPods but traded a 4G to a MS employee for his Zune because he didn't like it and preferred the iPod's click wheel. True story. So now I have an iPod Nano, shuffle and Zune. I use all 3 regularly depending on what I'm doing.

I came to this forum to get answers about little quirks about the Zune because I'm not really a PC guy. So you've all been real helpful. Honestly I think the iPod is more robust in terms of its offerings (iTunes videos, podcasts, USB drive, etc.) but I do really like the Zune too. So I'm trying to be fair to both sides.

Lately I've noticed that most of the posts were all about the iPhone, and how much you all despise it. A few of the observations have merit, but many others are just downright speculative and ignorant.

I think it's a fair observation that the main reason many of you got Zunes was because you wanted an alternative to the iPod. And some of you just outright hate anything Apple does (which is fine, there's passionate fanboys on every side).

So with that being said. Why all the FUD about Apple? Are you afraid that some members here might actually like their products and switch back over? I think both Apple and MS make great products. And the Zune is great for the PMP space, just like the iPhone is great for the cellular/wifi space.

I belong to iLounge forum and for the most part, MS and Zune is really off their radar. If you go to there and search Zune, you'll have to dig pretty deep to find any posts slamming it (or even really talking about it). It's just a non-factor. Their forums are focused on helping people, not criticizing things they've never owned (like people here and the iPhone).

So dare I say it? Are we a bit jealous that Apple is creating some great products? Must we tear down the other person to make ourselves feel justified with our Zunes?

Fire away!
Endless
zune rockstar

I ♣ Seals!

thehorsmancometh@hotmail.com littlemonster114
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 11:40:37 PM »

I've really got to say, you are the first person to probably post the truth about some of the members here.

I, being a poster of at least one of the topics about apple products, do not hate Apple.  I rather dislike the hype that is being made about their products. I mean, honestly, what makes the iPod so superior to the Zune? If i had my way, not to mention a large wallet, I would have both PMP's and be honest, I would prefer to be running OS X on my Personal Computer, rather than my Family PC, because I like the interface much better. I choose to use Windows because much, much, much more programs are offered in MS format and I don't like dealing with stuff like WiNE like they have for Linux PC's.

I am not a loyal "fanboy" to any company. Most of the reason I got a Zune is because it was the Halo edition, and since Halo is licensed under Microsoft and Bungie and it would never cross over into iPods(would a Halo 3 iPod look good anyway?) I caved and bought one. I do have to say, tough, with how the PMP market is at the moment. Microsoft could have done a bit more with the Zune.

All in all, you are definitely right.  This is a Zune forum, and our ragging on the iPhone really has nothing to do with the purpose of this forum.  Also it is true that some of us are ignorant.

I think that someone on here that truly WANTS the iPhone should buy it and review it for us(preferably someone technologically competent) so that we won't be ignorant anymore.

Quote from: Scott Fletcher of Unthinkability.com
Microsoft is always fashionably late to the party, but they always go home with the hot chicks
tbird
zune rockstar

Enjoying the space of the 120

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 11:52:40 PM »

WELL.......First of all....Good post! Grin
Agree with what you said.
But what has been really bothering me is I am worried that the Zune may just fall off the face of the earth.
Granted the ipod has been a huge success for apple,( I have bought enough of them for my kids), but the Zune was my first such device and I am really happy with it.
But with that being said all this hype over the iphone and apple has started to wear on me, especially since MS apparently doesnt think they have to advertise the Zune, or provide updates on what they are working on. Its like the folks at MS are thinking oh, you bought a Zune, good for you.
Again IMO I think most of the Zune owners out there are happy, but just a bit frustrated about the lack of information comming out of MS, and just a bit ticked off that apple has once again managed to grab center stage, with a device the for the most part complements the ipod.
And the Zune owners keep asking questions, and wait for video on marketplace, and wait for expanded wifi............and its like talking to a brick wall.
Bottom line......for me at least.....I like my Zune, dont want an iphone, but wish MS had the same "mojoe" as apple.

dr1v3thru
zune rockstar

Dr1v3thruU
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 12:19:37 AM »

well my one wish is that i had enough money to afford an iPhone  Cheesy

Jander
Global Moderator
zune overlord

Mr. 1000. Professional DJ.

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 12:24:22 AM »

/wince

udahman, you're not the man now dawg.  C'mon, you started out fine, but your post unraveled into an invitation to argue.  Goading? Why? Let's talk about the merits, what the iPhone means to the market, how it could affect our Zunes, but why oh why would ya invite a good ole fashioned flame war? They always devolve into calling someone a Nazi.  I'm sure we can both agree, Nazis are not cool, and neither are you for panhandling for another fruitless MS vs Apple argument. We get those around here now and then. It's silly.  This post is just a veiled turd.

I belong to iLounge forum and for the most part, MS and Zune is really off their radar. If you go to there and search Zune, you'll have to dig pretty deep to find any posts slamming it (or even really talking about it). It's just a non-factor. Their forums are focused on helping people, not criticizing things they've never owned (like people here and the iPhone).

For the most part the 'rama is a very helpful place. We tend to get into a few Apple vs MS debates, usually because some mostly well intentioned Apple fans choose to visit and compare the ins and outs. You must understand that the Zune is an underdog device, much like Apple is underdog in the OS space to Microsoft. You'd think there'd be a a bit of empathy. So with that Zune fans can be a little touchy.   I can see how Zuners would see the iPhone as a threat. Completely understandable.  It's intimidating for a fledgling product trying to find it's feet in the market. The question is though is why are you so concerned about a few negative opinions from some Zuners about the iPhone? It's needless. Why even worry yourself?  Why come to our little corner of the internet to discover little quirks for your Zune only to post about Zuners being jealous over a competing company's product? Doesn't add up. You're here to pick fights, not to learn about your Zune.  Just enjoy what ya like and leave it be.

Are we a bit jealous that Apple is creating some great products?

Only those who, for some reason limit themselves to products from only one company solely on loyalty. The iPhone appears to be a solid device.  Too pricey for me, but the gee wiz factor is off the charts. Love to have one if I had $600 in expendable income. My Blackberry Pearl will do just fine for now though.

xxxoom
zune overlord

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 02:51:18 AM »

Must we tear down the other person to make ourselves feel justified with our Zunes?

In a word... YES.

Next topic.  Lips Sealed
techspian
zune dog

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 06:12:41 AM »

Well, I like both company's but I am a windows user because of games and I am studying Arch. Eng.  I have never liked the sound on the iPod, so I chose the zune.  When I talk about the use of the iPhone, I am being realistic on the features on the phone.  This means thinking "Is this really necessary?"  I see the iPhone as not necessary .

pulse
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 07:55:31 AM »

/wince

udahman, you're not the man now dawg.  C'mon, you started out fine, but your post unraveled into an invitation to argue.  Goading? Why? Let's talk about the merits, what the iPhone means to the market, how it could affect our Zunes, but why oh why would ya invite a good ole fashioned flame war? They always devolve into calling someone a Nazi.  I'm sure we can both agree, Nazis are not cool, and neither are you for panhandling for another fruitless MS vs Apple argument. We get those around here now and then. It's silly.  This post is just a veiled turd.

What he said.    Smiley

Kepp the flaming in the kitchen.
Bond007
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 11:49:31 AM »

The reason why Ipod fanboys in Apple forms like iLounge don't talk about the Zune is because the Zune is an underdog and a majority of Apple fanboys don't don't consider it a threat.  BTW there has not been any hype, rumors, or major news about the Zune like Iphone or other Apple products.

If Microsoft made buzz worthy news about the Zune it would get Mac fans attention and you would see people commenting, criticising it, and trashing it just like many members have done in the Zunerama forum about the Iphone.

Anyway you admitted that your an Apple guy so why does our posts and comments about the Iphone bother you?  If your fed up of it you could just go to another Zune site that was probably talking about the Iphone too.  In fact many Zune forums and sites have been forced to talk about Iphone and the ridiculous hype because there is no Zune news to talk about unfortunately, which is very sad in my opinion.  Our opinions won't stop the Iphone from being a success and the reviews on the Iphone a been very good even CNET has given it an 8.0 for excellent.  Let me know the Iphone gets bad reviews.

udahman
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 09:38:23 PM »

/wince

For the most part the 'rama is a very helpful place. We tend to get into a few Apple vs MS debates, usually because some mostly well intentioned Apple fans choose to visit and compare the ins and outs. You must understand that the Zune is an underdog device, much like Apple is underdog in the OS space to Microsoft. You'd think there'd be a a bit of empathy. So with that Zune fans can be a little touchy.   I can see how Zuners would see the iPhone as a threat. Completely understandable.  It's intimidating for a fledgling product trying to find it's feet in the market. The question is though is why are you so concerned about a few negative opinions from some Zuners about the iPhone? It's needless. Why even worry yourself?  Why come to our little corner of the internet to discover little quirks for your Zune only to post about Zuners being jealous over a competing company's product? Doesn't add up. You're here to pick fights, not to learn about your Zune.  Just enjoy what ya like and leave it be.

Are we a bit jealous that Apple is creating some great products?

Only those who, for some reason limit themselves to products from only one company solely on loyalty. The iPhone appears to be a solid device.  Too pricey for me, but the gee wiz factor is off the charts. Love to have one if I had $600 in expendable income. My Blackberry Pearl will do just fine for now though.

Well stated. Thank you. I wanted to stir up some emotion but I'm not here to pick a fight. Like I said, I'm a Mac guy, but I never said I hated anything MS. Doesn't the fact that I'm a Zune owner shows my open-mindedness? I'm just surprised at so many Apple haters here. I admire Palmer to be the voice of reason around here and at least Endless and Tbird agreed with me. I'm just saying the shameless misinformation is running rampant. (e.g., "I don't trust CNET/Gizmodo/Engadget/Mossberg reviews because they're Apple butt-kissers.") I mean what kind of person would talk like that? So from here on out, I promise I won't slam MS or Zune, but I will definitely defend Apple of anything that is inaccurate. We just want the truth. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 09:50:21 PM by udahman » Logged
Jander
Global Moderator
zune overlord

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 10:01:14 PM »

Well stated. Thank you. I wanted to stir up some emotion but I'm not here to pick a fight. Like I said, I'm a Mac guy, but I never said I hated anything MS. Doesn't the fact that I'm a Zune owner shows my open-mindedness? I'm just surprised at so many Apple haters here. I admire Palmer to be the voice of reason around here and at least Endless and Tbird agreed with me. I'm just saying the shameless misinformation is running rampant. (e.g., "I don't trust CNET/Gizmodo/Engadget/Mossberg reviews because they're Apple butt-kissers.") I mean what kind of person would talk like that? So from here on out, I promise I won't slam MS or Zune, but I will definitely defend Apple of anything that is inaccurate. We just want the truth.

Cool.  I too hate shameless uninformed, narrow-minded fanboys of any sort. Who doesn't?  Us vs them mentality, while it can be healthy if treated maturely, we both know, it rarely reaches that sort of discussion.  I'll take whatever is good for my needs regardless of company and I hope more and more adopt that sort of mentality.

Bond007
zune master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 10:58:31 PM »

Cool.  I too hate shameless uninformed, narrow-minded fanboys of any sort. Who doesn't?  Us vs them mentality, while it can be healthy if treated maturely, we both know, it rarely reaches that sort of discussion.  I'll take whatever is good for my needs regardless of company and I hope more and more adopt that sort of mentality.

That is nice to hear, but it is just that a majority of people unfortunately don't think like you.  Try tell that to the people who waited in line for the Iphone and you sure will get some fanboy reactions.  In fact you get fanboy reactions from Mac lovers anyway, especially if they think you said some wrong information about Apple.  Mac lovers defend Apple like a bage of honor and care just as much about the company or products as the CEO Steve Jobs does.

Jander
Global Moderator
zune overlord

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 11:42:01 PM »

That is nice to hear, but it is just that a majority of people unfortunately don't think like you.

Actually, I believe the uber fanboys would be a minority. Makes more sense.  Only a few fans seem to reach that level of devotion, otherwise you'd have hundreds of thousands lining up instead of a stalwart 50 or so to something like the iPhone launch.

Trust me Bondy, most people are pretty low-key concerning their devotion to personal electronics/ect. Wink

dr1v3thru
zune rockstar

Dr1v3thruU
View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 11:58:30 PM »

i think that minority just generates a lot of noise. that's probably why it seems like they're everywhere

xxxoom
zune overlord

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 03:01:28 AM »

apple got lucky with the ipod, and we haven't heard the end of it for seven years.

but, as usual, they'll eventually screw it all up with the endless bragging, and they'll be back to where they were in 1997, when bill gates had to rescue their *sses!  Grin
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List