Zunerama logo   
News: Compare Zune vs iPod

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 23, 2014, 10:48:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zune launch: 2 weeks from Tuesday. Where's the marketing campaign?  (Read 6007 times)
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 30, 2006, 11:39:51 AM »

From the Zunerama blog:

Two weeks from tomorrow, Zune will be released in the US. So where's the ad campaign from Microsoft?

Zune is a hot enough topic in the blogosphere - igniting its share of strident exchanges and flame-throwing between Zune zealots and iPod lovers.

But out there in the real world, Zune remains virtually unknown. From my informal surveys of university students, teenagers, retail clerks, friends, and relatives: most have simply not heard of Zune. Others have only the vaguest of inklings about what it is.

These are the people who are working now on their holiday shopping lists. These consumers will make or break Zune, casting its destiny as either a fringe offering or a mainstream consumer product.

When Microsoft announced Zune in its July 21 Billboard interview, the expectation was set for a “massive advertising and marketing campaign" which would be "heavily artist-centric, including several live performances nationwide.”

We're certainly getting the artist-centric part of this. It's been fascinating to see Microsoft running this novel marketing approach, through a suite of undiscovered artists.

But we envisioned this to be part of a much broader marketing push. By focusing its campaign on new content, Microsoft is targeting a narrow field: hard-core music lovers, who actively seek out new music, and others who respond well to bands, music, and settings that others might consider, well, unfamiliar... if not uncomfortably edgy.

In the past few days, a few promising signs: a smattering of Zune billboards appeared in major cities. Some bus signs in New York. A Zune commercial appeared this past weekend in movie theatres. A few Zune banners have been sighted on geeky websites like Digg.

But, so far, no TV commercials (I'm not counting the Ellen spot). No radio or print ads to speak of. No widespread Internet push.

The campaign, so far, just doesn't cater to the majority of shoppers who are going to purchase music players this holiday season.

...and Christmas is coming.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 11:51:28 AM by Zunerama Ed. » Logged

olion597
zune commando

plamotte@chartermi.net olion597
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 02:19:30 PM »

Yes, I'd have to give Microsoft an F for marketing, they should have been marketing this thing for the past two weeks already, they make me sad Cry
daveg
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 03:41:53 PM »

Unbelievable.

Remember when Windows 95 came out? I actually got excited. Let's see some more of that!
xxxoom
zune overlord

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 04:40:22 PM »

believe it or not, i've put off my plans to buy a zune any time soon.  i just don't want to waste $250 on another media player when i haven't seen any evidence that microsoft can execute this thing.

also, what if apple adds wifi to ipod in six months?  where will zune be then?

if things are going well in six months, then maybe i'll consider it again.  for now, i'll just keep using my dell media player.  i only use it for audio anyway.
h3l3nWeelz
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 06:15:40 PM »

Hooooo. Well I'm still in. I don't really mind how the company decides to go about marketing it. Maybe if I was basing my decision on wireless I would.

But I'm quite sure I'll be getting a great player, with FM which I really like, and a screen that actually might be watchable compared to so many others.

Y'all are too easily disappointed, perhaps?
lpxxfaintxx
zune trooper

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 08:07:02 PM »

Microsoft still has some time for christmas time. They are not focusing on the launch date, but rather the Christmas season. That's what they're really aiming for.. I'm sure they're adding their finishing touches now.

xxxoom
zune overlord

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 08:15:09 PM »

Hooooo. Well I'm still in. I don't really mind how the company decides to go about marketing it. Maybe if I was basing my decision on wireless I would.

But I'm quite sure I'll be getting a great player, with FM which I really like, and a screen that actually might be watchable compared to so many others.

Y'all are too easily disappointed, perhaps?

i'm not really disappointed.  i'm just trying to be more objective.

i want microsoft to prove to me that zune will be a success... before i buy one.

i'm hoping zune will succeed, so i won't have to buy an ipod.  but i'm not going to buy a zune... hoping that it will take down ipod... since i've already got a music player.  i can stand to wait a few months.
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 02:13:04 PM »

xoom, you're going to be envying me when I'm filling up on my ZunePass every day starting Nov 14..!!

Smiley

webgurl
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 01:27:39 PM »

hunh and now you won't have to pay for it until Nov 28 !!

if you get that 14-day free trial

can't stop downloading... need intervention... love my zunepass!!
olion597
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 03:59:16 PM »

Well, although marketing isn't the best, apparently they're selling still.  I got an email that made me approve the fact that the Zune I preordered has been delayed and at the earliest i'm getting it December 4th, latest being December 22 (a christmas gift to me!  Grin).  Saddens me that i'll be getting it 2 weeks after launch though. Cry
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 04:59:05 PM »

Well, although marketing isn't the best, apparently they're selling still.  I got an email that made me approve the fact that the Zune I preordered has been delayed and at the earliest i'm getting it December 4th, latest being December 22 (a christmas gift to me!  Grin).  Saddens me that i'll be getting it 2 weeks after launch though. Cry

Whaaaat??!!?! Where did you order it from?

HoldenCfld
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 05:05:14 PM »

Damn... I hope theres not a wait like that at the wal-mart here...

I was just planning on walking in a picking one up.
olion597
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 03:21:54 PM »

Whaaaat??!!?! Where did you order it from?

Ordered it from Target, cause of my Xbox Live discount I get.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List