Zunerama logo   
News: Find Zune accessories

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 17, 2014, 08:51:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Shack needs more "weird stuff"  (Read 6558 times)
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 14, 2007, 05:22:25 PM »

I am increasingly disenchanted with my local Radio Shack. A third of the store is devoted to cell phones, another third to iPod, and the remainder to cheap remote control toys. Where's the variety?

It's sad, because my mental image of the store is so different. A childhood memory of mine is going with my dad - a self-taught electronics wiz - to Radio Shack whenever we'd go to Kamloops (the nearest "big city" from the hamlet of my youth). The place seemed like a treasure trove of gadgetry and components.

Today's inventory is so vanilla. More annoying to me are the bemused and somewhat condescending reactions I get when I inquire about Zune. Yeah, guys, I know who the market leader is..!

Yesterday, I drop in on one of my local stores, which has one wall full of iPods and iPod accessories. In the midst of that wall is, inexplicably, a lone no-name Zune silicon case.

I ask the salesman if they are planning to carry Zune. It's a question I've asked at the same store several times over the past year. (My daughters now refuse to enter the store with me.)

He replied that he doubted it, but "you never know, because we've been getting some really weird stuff in here lately".

Someday, I hope that once again I'll see more of that weird stuff in Radio Shack.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 05:25:40 PM by Zunerama Ed. » Logged

ballbagcheese
zune master

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 05:35:22 PM »

RadioShack sucks.  Maybe that is why the closed the 1000 or so stores in the last year.

MrJoe
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 05:47:15 PM »

If you like expensive batteries, radio shack is definately the place to go Smiley  The one in my town is a good place to go for unusual audio-video and power cords/components, but not so good for other stuff.  They usually get novel Christmas presents, though.

Kaiser
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 05:50:57 PM »

The first and last product I bought in RadioShack was an electronics tool set which included a number of screw bits and a nice rubber handled driver in a little plastic case for $7. So far very good buy.....but there is absolutely no reason to get anything else in there when I can get better stuff cheaper elsewhere.
Trastan
zune rockstar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 05:52:13 PM »

Haha, "wierd stuff." I'm surprised that an electronics store would place Zune in that category, seeing as, well... just about everyone carries Zune now. I don't know whether they were ignorant, biased, or just wanting to be rude, but it's pretty clear that they don't know how to handle customers.

They do have nice cable adapters, though. Grin

JIGGY24
zune commando

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 05:59:25 PM »

Yeah radio shack aint what it use to be. Zune is to worthy to be in a store like Radio shack Smiley
Apallohadas
zune master

China for teh win!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 06:40:52 PM »

The saddest thing about Radio Shack is the employees.

Even the young ones are relics.

First I should separate the Philadelphia RadioShacks from the ones in NY.

The ones in Philly are craptacularly pathetic. Walk in the door and you're assaulted with no less than 3 'CAN I HELP YOU???' before you get past the registers.

And if you do for some strange reason have a question, they either don't know the answer, or pull an answer out of their ass.

Last time I tried to buy a charger for a Razer phone (don't have it any more, anyways...) and the salesperson immediately tried to sell me a universal charger that cost $80. I pointed out that I need a charger for just a razer. He pointed out that the universal can fit any phone, once you buy the attachments.

"So it's 80 for the base?"

"Yup. Here's the razer component!"

So obviously I was wearing my "I'll buy any old piece of crap" hat. Or at least he thought I was. So I pulled out my favorite RadioShack/GeekSquad brain stumper: "I'll buy this, if you can accurately define milliamps and explain how batteries charge."

Yeah, I kinda like watching people squirm.

Quote from: Aerimus Shadowborn
Apple fans on the other hand seem to live in a reality distortion field that either renders flaws and limitations either meaningless or into brilliant design decisions.
2A Batterie
zune-ologist

www.aaronapter.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 06:43:29 PM »

I've always been hesitant to buy anything from a "shack".  Seriously, the name is fitting.

Visit my updated webpage!
Lord Moon
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 07:12:42 PM »

Last time I was in Radio Shack I was looking for a mini to video/audio cable for my iPod.  I had just found out about the ability to use any mini to video/audio cable for output to TV.  I didn't find any in the video cable section. 

When I asked the guy about those cables he showed me a "iPod Starter Kit" which had the mini to video/audio cable, wall charger, car charger, in-ear headphones, retractable stereo cable, and a black drawstring bag, all for $19.95.  I told him I just want the cable, I really didn't need all the rest of that crap.  He found just the mini to video/audio cable, it was priced at $19.95 by itself.

I ended up getting the Starter kit since I would get more for my money.  The headphones were crap.  The mini to video/audio worked fine for both my iPod and my Zune, though it was loose in the iPod, but tight in the Zune.  The wall charger and the car charger both have a USB connection, so I can use them both with my Zune no problem.  The bag and the retractable stereo cable so far have had no use whatsoever.  The Zune barely fit in the bag, but I've since gotten an aluminum case.

I know the time before that they didn't have cable I was looking for.

Yeah I remember when Radio Shack was the goto place for tech things like adapters, cables and whatnot.

SINED, SEELED, and DELIVERED
Jander
Global Moderator
zune overlord

Mr. 1000. Professional DJ.

justy@gnuk.net
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 09:05:57 PM »

I needed to snag an HDMI cable and I knew going in that those marked up monster cables were unnecessary. Cheap cables work just as well.  So when the manager instantly showed me the most expensive cables, I shook my head and told him there was no reason to buy those, when the cheap cables work as good, if not better. He looked a little angry, and asked where in tarnation I'd learned such a crazy thing. I said, "the internet". He stammered and was about to say something when he turned, begrudgingly, and took me to the cheap section.

Soundtweaker
zune commando

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 09:19:40 PM »

You've got questions?
We've got blank stares.

Kaiser
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 09:31:01 PM »

You've got questions?
We've got blank stares.

This is so true, I forced myself to stop laughing.
Vasquez CP1
zune master

It's a Mii

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 10:57:03 PM »

Radio Shack is nothing more than a Universal Cell-Phone Carrier Store. ATT, Verizon, US Cellular, all under one roof. Er, Shack.

Never argue with a fool. People might not know the difference.

http://social.zune.net/member/vasquezcp1

tbird
zune rockstar

Enjoying the space of the 120

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2007, 11:18:26 PM »

It's too bad, cause back in the day Radio Shack was the place to go....Had everything you needed.
Now days......well last time I walked into one, took about 30 sec's I was out of there!

mwells
zune dog

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 10:37:32 AM »

Radio Shack makes my blood boil. Between being treated like a shoplifter the second I walk in(just a heads-up, you guys have nothing to steal!), and their outlandishly awful prices, I'm glad ours closed up a while ago. Heck, I didn't even realize it was closed until a week or two ago.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List