Zunerama logo   
News: Have you seen our Zune Buyer's Guide?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 18, 2014, 08:37:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On Album art, and other track info issues  (Read 43215 times)
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 13, 2007, 08:41:49 AM »

Members have reported that their album art is jumbled up after installing Zune software.

Album art is automatically updated by Zune software, by default. I believe mine converted okay for the most part, but after seeing your emails I'm doing a scan through my collection.

I think I initially noted some album art anomalies when I installed, but I thought they were carry-overs from my previous library. When I check this morning it seems that they have changed (corrected itself) since my initial installation - but need to confirm that with a more thorough scan of my collection.

Here are two workarounds from Microsoft that are worth a read (thanks, thermodynamic)

Update: here's the support article that addresses this issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=945319

Today 4:59 PM  REPORT 
re: ZUNE SOFTWARE MIXING UP ALBUMS, ART, TRACKS, ETC. (Though metadata correct in WMP)

Here's something that has fixed the messed up album art for a lot of people. There's a file that contains metadata about your tracks. If you delete that while the client is not running then restart the client, it is rebuilt automatically. It does NOT delete your music, just the metadata. Here are the instructions. Please make a copy of the file before deleting it.

In XP Zune2 software stores it's database in the folders

XP        C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Zune\
Vista     C:\Users\<User Name> Application Data\Local\Microsoft\Zune\

Exit Zune2 software
Delete files in this folder
Restart Zune2 software and it will rebuild your collection.
Let me know how it goes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zune Social Dev

.: This posting is provided "as-is" with no warranties, and confers no rights :. 

Community User Level:1 
 Today 5:04 PM  REPORT 
re: ZUNE SOFTWARE MIXING UP ALBUMS, ART, TRACKS, ETC. (Though metadata correct in WMP)

If your having some problems with the albums after upgrading from V1, try the following:

1) Close down the software

2) from start menu -> run:

On XP, %UserProfile%\local settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Zune

On Vista: %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Zune

3) Renaming or deleting your zunestore.sdf file will cause the software to regrovel the database on next launch, much like a fresh install instead of an upgrade.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zune Product Team

.: This posting is provided "as-is" with no warranties, and confers no rights:.

Update: Okay, I tried the second method (renaming the database file). When I restarted Zune software, it rebuilt my collection (took about 5 minutes, then another ten or so to finish "finding media".)

It resolved most of the album art and track info issues. I shuffled my playlist, and went through 100 tracks. All but 2 displayed proper album art. (An easy way to do this: play your music collection on shuffle, and click on the little volume meter in the lower right, to bring up the Now Playing screen. Highlight the "right arrow" in the controls, and repeatedly press enter. You can blitz through your playlist quickly that way, to test out album art.)

Note: it also re-brought over my playlists, including ones I had deleted in my previous installation. I guess those playlists are still in my music folders even after being deleted from Zune software - so I had to re-delete them. Not a biggie, but just wanted to point that out.

Update: Zunerama member siouxperman has just posted a technique he's used to efficently clean up his album art, and to resolve situations where extra albums appear under another artist's album list.

I figured out a very simply way to resolve nearly 100% of the problem with album art.  I did a search for zunealbumart.jpg in My Music folder where all of my music folders are stored .  I chose Select All after I found all of the files named zunealbumart.jpg and I deleted them.  When I opened my Zune software all of my album art matched up.

The only remaining issue I have found has been extra albums in an artist that are actually another artist's albums.  I resolved this by choosing the album that is under the wrong artist and deleting it.  It deletes the "extra" copy and doesn't impact the album in the correct artist.  Example:  In the Zune Software when I click on artist Pearl Jam and look at Albums there are Pearl Jam albums and a couple stray U2 Albums.  Just delete the stray U2 Albums from the Pearl Jam album choices.  The stray U2 Albums still appear in the U2 section but don't show up in Pearl Jam any longer.

Hopefully this is helpful.  It worked for me.  We shouldn't have to do this but this takes care of most of the problems from what I can tell.

Other notes relating to album art and other track info:

Album art settings

Also, some members have recommended that you turn off the album art option before syncing:

... After you update your software, the Zune program will load... and a screen will pop-up asking you if you want to use the default settings, or customize them yourself.   CHOOSE CUSTOMIZE.

You will then get a screen that says "Monitored Folders" at the top.  SCROLL DOWN until you see "OPTIONS"... and then un-check the box that says "Automatically Update Album Art..."

Otherwise, the Zune software will change any artwork that you've hand-picked in the past (if any) or any customization you've made.

I did install with the default settings. I'm going to do some testing on the above recommendation - it appears to have helped for some people.

Also the tip that some people have noted about deleting your collection from Zune software and dragging-and-dropping it back in... I'd like to check that out before making that a recommendation. If it works for some of you, that's great, but it certainly seems like it shouldn't be necessary.

One difference is, I installed from the pre-review CD. I'm going to back out and install from the zune.net download and see what happens.

I'm going to check with the Zune team on this. (Just got up as I caught up on some much-needed sleep last night.)

I'll sticky this and try to keep this post updated with the preferred ways to manage album art.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 06:01:11 AM by admin » Logged

swanlee
zune dog

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 09:26:38 AM »

It isn't just an album art issue, it is song titles, artist info, album info.

Pretty much everything is screwed up just on the new zune software itself while the files on the pc are correct.
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 10:30:05 AM »

Updated the original post with a workaround from Microsoft

mwells
zune dog

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 11:27:23 AM »

Does this work with video metadata too?
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 11:32:03 AM »

Does this work with video metadata too?

No, I think this only pertains to music metadata.

Rhett
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 12:19:05 PM »

Ed,

What is your opinion on this? Should we wait for a proper fix or should we be manually rebuilding our libraries from scratch?

Mine got really whacked hard by the update. I have missing albums, artists with other artists art, albums from one artists listing in anothers area. It seems to have mixed up anything that resides close to eachother in alphabetical order.

I really shudder at the thought of having to fix wonkey metadata provided by AMG again. Just correcting genres is likely going to take me all day.

Sad

zuneboy
zune dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 12:22:14 PM »

This is a bad issue. Undecided  Hopefully somebody fix this fast.  Good thing I havenít update my library jet.
b84fish
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 12:58:55 PM »

In addition to clearing out the database folder I had to delete every ZuneAlbumArt.jpg file that was created throughout my music folders.  Once I did this, it went through and correctly pulled my correct album art including the custom albums that I had setup in WMP.
segadc
zune master

<o>

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 01:21:31 PM »

I know how to fix the album art. First look for the albums that have the wrong album art. Then go to My music and delete the jpg. Once you delete that the Zune software will correct itself.

Opps I didn't see b84fish's post. He is right it definetly works!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 01:23:58 PM by segadc » Logged

Xamu
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 01:23:26 PM »

I know how to fix the album art. First look for the albums that have the wrong album art. Then go to My music and delete the jpg. Once you delete that the Zune software will correct itself.

which jpg?

shrike3000
zune dog

Welcome to Non-Social.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 01:29:33 PM »

which jpg?

You might have to unhide system files to see some of the jpegs in the directory.
VanMan
zune trooper

This is me

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 02:49:17 PM »

I don't have a folder called Local settings.  Huh  What do I do?

Rhett
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 02:57:44 PM »

There are a LOT of files and subdirectories in that folder.

What is it we are supposed to delete? All these files? One of these files? The whole Folder?

Know what... I shouldnt have to be doing this. This is a bug they knew about and they hoped it would be so obscure they could ignor it. Well They were wrong. I want a one click fix or I want this fixed in the background without me having to do anything.

How many weeks/months is my music going to be all screwed up before they fix it I wonder?

joe102187
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 03:12:45 PM »

I just checked my Songs list and alot songs appear twice while one of the copies works and the other one gets an error, yet when i synced my zune i still get the double songs and alot of used up space on my zune. I only need one file of the song, and the zune syncs both, how can i fix this?
Xamu
zune-ologist

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 03:39:34 PM »

Here's a very strange thing.

My "Weird Al" Yankovic Running With Scissors album in the Browse view says the artist is Various Artists but in the List view it's is accurate.

I think the Browse view is the biggest problem here.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List