Zunerama logo   
News: Check out the Zune FAQ

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2014, 05:37:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hacking the new Zune firmware, to use Zune as a USB drive  (Read 34589 times)
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 14, 2007, 12:00:29 AM »

Some of may have noticed that the new firmware undoes the USB-drive hack (that lets you use your player as an external drive).

I received a tip today on it that sounds legit:

First, it's based on the registry hack from before - (described at this link: http://zunerama.com/forum/index.php?topic=970.0)

The difference with the new firmware is that the registry keys have changed. The new registry keys to be modified are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\USB\VID_####&PID_####\########-####-####-####-############\Device
Parameters

Modify the same three keys as before, and your Zune will serve as an external drive. A different icon will display in the shell, but you'll have the same functionality.

The tipster did this using Vista Home Premium with a Zune30 with the newest firmware.

The usual disclaimers apply: backup your registry first; be very careful; and don't blame us if things go wrong. Smiley
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 12:04:18 AM by Zunerama Ed. » Logged

Sniperman
zune commando

*~*Sniperman*~*

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 07:43:37 AM »

good info to know, thanks.

*~*Sniperman*~*
AK Water
zune rockstar

Zune + iPod Owner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 11:06:14 AM »

Nice thanks. 

Zune 30GB Brown | iPod 15GB (3rd Generation)
earbuds: Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating
Also in the household: Zune 120 and Zune 30 (Both Black)
thermodynamic
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 05:38:48 AM »

This hack doesn't let you take your Zune and plug it into another computer like a flash drive right?  You'd have to do the hack on every computer you'd want to use the Zune as an HDD I'd assume.

pkadare
zune n00bie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 08:43:36 AM »

As an FYI you should be modifying CurrentControlSet and not one of the ControlSetXXX ones.

Details on Control Sets can be found here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/100010. It is an old KB but it is still applicable.
nev Bob
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 06:09:05 PM »

I did the hack on my Zune when I first got it and it worked. The new Zune firmware disabled that hack. I did the hack from Zunerama Ed's e-mail but it did not work. The hacks are in both ControlSet 001 and ControlSet002. I have'nt tried pkadare's hack yet i.e., CurrentControlSet vice ControlSet 001 and ControlSet002. Has anybody tried?
nev Bob
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 06:21:37 PM »

After I sent my msg., I did go and check the CurrentControlSet. I found two sets of Device Parameters. One did have the hack changes (EnableLegacySupport to 1, PortableDeviceNameSpaceExcludeFromShell to 0, ShowInShell to 1). The other set did not.?? Any advice?
mmastrom
zune n00bie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 07:10:02 PM »

I have the latest firmware and updates on a Brown 30GB. I applied the hack to the first instance of the key and it didn't work. I then undid those changes continued to search and found another set of registry keys below that one. I applied the changes and now have under Computer:
Portable Devices (2)
and icons with the name of my Zune. The HDD and all files can be seen.

This is on Vista

One more note, I copied off an mp3 to my desktop. That went well. I tried to copy the same one back to the folder on the ZUNE and it said I was unable top copy to it. Then the MP3 on the ZUNE was removed.

Disconnected, closed the software, re-connected and sync'd and the MP3 song was put back on the ZUNE.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 07:15:26 PM by mmastrom » Logged
ioreoi
lil zuner

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 05:42:03 PM »

Huh eh...

nev Bob
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 12:29:41 PM »

I went back and applied the hack to both sets of Device Parameters  under the CurrentControlSet.
One set already had the hack.  So I just did the changes to the other one. Thsse changes were (EnableLegacySupport to 1, PortableDeviceNameSpaceExcludeFromShell to 0,
ShowInShell to 1).
I now have two Zune icons in My Computer.
rob_fed
zune n00bie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 10:09:24 AM »

Huh

I have a new 30gb brown Zune.  I followed all of the instructions and I can open the icon that lists my Zune in My Computer. But I cannot drag/drop or even create new folders in the existing ones.  Like Music, Albums, etc...

How do you unlock the permissions to these folders.

Does this have to do with the new firmware?

My firmware indicates:  02.02.01040.00-00425

I can read all folders, and when double -click on a music file, it plays on my computer.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 10:21:58 AM by rob_fed » Logged
nomad3d
zune n00bie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 11:11:31 AM »

Huh

I have a new 30gb brown Zune.  I followed all of the instructions and I can open the icon that lists my Zune in My Computer. But I cannot drag/drop or even create new folders in the existing ones.  Like Music, Albums, etc...

How do you unlock the permissions to these folders.

Does this have to do with the new firmware?

My firmware indicates:  02.02.01040.00-00425

I can read all folders, and when double -click on a music file, it plays on my computer.

Yeah, I'm having the same problem. I can browse it, and some things I can copy off, others I can't, and I can't put anything on or create folders.
rob_fed
zune n00bie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 01:07:11 PM »

Well, am I missing something.  Once the Zune can be seen in "My Computer"...  Do you really have to start a file transfer or "sync" with the Zune software, then kill the zune.exe process (in the middle of the file transfer) to "unlock" the Zune HD storage?  If so, then it still did not work, I get an incomplete file transfer, kill Zune software, and no write access to my Zune player via the Windows Explorer window. 

Please help, I am a newbie and not Zune schooled yet.
JSP62
zune commando

jspark62 jplicks79
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 10:39:04 AM »

This method and so-called mod/hack isn't really useful at this point.  The best thing about it is that files can be copied directly from the Zune to a PC. . . but not vice versa.  I just isn't feasible.

MMP / DAPs:
Zune30, 80 ; Sansa e280, e250 ; Sony VGFAP1L, MZ-NF610, (2) MZ-R37, MZ-R70, WM-FX33 ; iPod Nano [SOLD!]
HOW A QUESTION THE RIGHT WAY
POSTING AND YOU
Lupo
zune master

SUPRA350LUPO
View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 10:34:03 AM »

I got lost in the middle of it
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List