Nice work, I'll try it when I get home. Do we need to keep WMP running in order to refresh the list? Will the m3u file be updated as well or do I need to re-save each time the playlist is refreshed?
Sadly, the M3U file does not get auto-refreshed! This is because M3U's are dumb lists ...
However, in WMP you can save your auto-playlist contents as M3U. And, any changes in the M3U are reflected almost instantly in Zune Software.
This is what I did so you can reproduce the results ...
1. Make sure your "rip" folder in the Zune Software is a folder monitored by WMP
2. Get "London Calling" by "The Clash" [song with "London" in the Title] in your Zune collection. If you don't own this or have a Zune Pass then replace "London" with something in yoru collection!
3. In WMP creat an auto-playlist "WMP Auto London" ... Auto playlist with Title contains "London"
4. In WMP double-click on Playlist (in the left pane) ... this adds the songs to the List view on the right side. (You may need to make list view appear ... look for a "blue" arrow on the top right)
5. In WMP in the drop-down next to "Untitled Playlist" select "Save Playlist As ..." and in the dialog that appears select Save As Type
to be "M3U Playlist (*.m3u). Name it "M3U Auto London" [or select it from the list if it already exists]. Click Save.
6. In Zune Software the playlist will now magically appear. If you already have it ... it's content will be refreshed!
7. In Zune Software download song "London" by Queensr˙che
8. Repeat step 4 to 6! In Step 4 you will see it as auto-playlists work great. In step 6 you should see it in the Zune playlist.