Zunerama logo   
News: Compare Zune vs iPod

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 23, 2014, 10:49:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Games and Applications Demos  (Read 25038 times)
D4V3
zune master

Zune 30 Owner

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2008, 10:30:33 AM »

So when I first updated to the 2.5 software and firmware, I was anxious as anyone to get games running on my Zune. I cruised over to this section of the forum only to find that there was a long list of games, many of which I had never heard of. So here I am staring at this list of games with no idea what game I want to start with, wishing that someone had made some sort of tutorial/demo videos showing examples of what each game is like so that I could pick one out without going to the extent of downloading it, deploying it and trying it only to find out that it's dumb. Well, after a few late nights, a case of red bull, and several AA batteries, I've created this demo list for the rest of you Zune-Gamers to take advantage of. I'm open to suggestions and submissions so just let me know, and enjoy!

Alien Aggressors [VIDEO]
Alien Aggressors is almost an exact replica of the old arcade games "Space Invaders" and "Galaga"... the gameplay is very simple- you just move left and right to shoot down all of the aliens. The game itself is displayed sideways on the screen, making use of the Zune's widescreen ability.

Breakout [VIDEO]
Breakout is a very basic arcade game in which you have a paddle at the bottom of the screen, and you have to use it to bounce your ball towards the top of the screen and clear out all of the blocks. It's similar to Pong, except single player. (Sorry about my camera constantly refocusing- you get the idea anyway.)

Collapse [VIDEO]
Collapse is a pretty straight forward game, based on reaction speed. Stalactites are falling off of the cave ceiling, and you have to move left and right to avoid being crushed. If you are hit, the word OUCH! pops up on the screen and your score counter resets back to 0.

Marblets [VIDEO]
Marblets is a strategy game in which you use the cursor to clear groups of marbles when two or more of the same color are side by side. The more marbles you clear at a time, the more points you get, and the overall object of the game is to try to clear the entire board.

Scrambled Albums [VIDEO]
Scrambled Albums is a remake of those popular puzzle slider games (you'll know it when you see it). It randomly picks a piece of album art out of your collection and creates a slider game out of it. You can choose any level of difficulty from a 3x3 puzzle, all the way up to 10x10. There are many settings you can change on this game, ranging from background color to song selection (you can even change these settings in the middle of a game!).

XnaTetris [VIDEO]
XnaTetris is a remake of the classic arcade game "Tetris" (obviously). It is just as addicting as the classic, and uses the same controls as well. The only downside I could find about this game is that it is not properly oriented for the Zune's widescreen display, so the game is stretched, which makes the blocks look oblong and makes it more difficult to judge whether a piece will fit or not as you get into the higher levels. (Sorry for the long video- I have a love for Tetris that you are never likely to know.)

UPDATE 5/12: i started hosting the videos on livevideo, so load speeds should be improved exponentially
UPDATE 5/13: added xnatetris, thread is now stickied Cheesy ty harv!
UPDATE 5/14: uploaded scrambled albums and breakout- more tomorrow... i have more recorded, it's just too time consuming to get them all up tonite Tongue
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 09:36:58 PM by D4V3 » Logged

Winned so fars: Incipio Starter Kit for Z00n(10/30/07)
Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 05:06:02 PM »

This fine work definitely deserves a sticky.

Thanks D4V3..!

Zunerama Ed.
Administrator
zune overlord

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 08:11:48 PM »

Blogging this as we speak. Nice work, D4V3 - - keep'em coming!

scoutflyer
zune master

lookin' ahead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 09:23:34 PM »

on a side note, i posted this elsewhere but it didnt get much attention, there's a glitch in alien aggressors, if you restart it without restarting your zune (dont hit quit, just hit new game) and you repeat it a bunch, for some reason the speed doesn't get reset, and eventually they are moving so fast that you can't even beat level one, forcing you to restart your zune..

"to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre
 Touch the Sky
 Road To State NHS-CC-07
 [Day of Reckoning 11/24/07]
rebornempowered
zune trooper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 09:30:06 PM »

Very cool.  Seriously considering doing this upgrade after seeing these.  Thanks!

Ricardo Dawkins
zune overlord

dawkins_ricardo@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 07:15:41 AM »

where is SIR-TET ?
http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/download-completed-games/23753-beta-sir-tet-tetris.html

and the Pong game done by Steven Gilligan  (Khao)
http://www.dualidiocy.com/Pong.html

on a side note, i posted this elsewhere but it didnt get much attention, there's a glitch in alien aggressors, if you restart it without restarting your zune (dont hit quit, just hit new game) and you repeat it a bunch, for some reason the speed doesn't get reset, and eventually they are moving so fast that you can't even beat level one, forcing you to restart your zune..
I think this shoot 'em is better:
http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/download-completed-games/24311-beta-galactic-wars-3-a.html
http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/221186-post46.html

DAVE..anyway...good job. keep it up. Later.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 07:22:07 AM by Ricardo Dawkins » Logged

Samsung Galaxy S (Vibrant) + Black Zune 80 + MEElectronics M6 (Clear) + Zune Premium + AKG K26p

D4V3
zune master

Zune 30 Owner

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 07:26:53 AM »

where is SIR-TET ?
http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/download-completed-games/23753-beta-sir-tet-tetris.html

and the Pong game done by Steven Gilligan  (Khao)
http://www.dualidiocy.com/Pong.html

I think this shoot 'em is better:
http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/download-completed-games/24311-beta-galactic-wars-3-a.html
http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/221186-post46.html

DAVE..anyway...good job. keep it up. Later.

dont tell anyone, but i have a pong video made, i just havent had the time to throw it together and get it up on here Tongue probably sometime today that'll be up... i'll probably take a look at sir-tet later today as well... galactic wars is still in a basic beta (apparently there's something majorly wrong with level 3 lol) so i'll probably wait a little on that one until it's more stable

[edit- keep in mind that i'm open to submissions so if anyone wants to help out *hint hint*, post your stuff and i'll add it to the main^ up there... it's hard for me to keep up with all of the new additions Shocked ]
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 07:29:14 AM by D4V3 » Logged

Winned so fars: Incipio Starter Kit for Z00n(10/30/07)
Ricardo Dawkins
zune overlord

dawkins_ricardo@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 12:34:11 PM »

This dude should be porting a Worms like game in a few days or weeks
Check his blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/cykho/

Samsung Galaxy S (Vibrant) + Black Zune 80 + MEElectronics M6 (Clear) + Zune Premium + AKG K26p

jsedlak
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 01:34:25 PM »

dont tell anyone, but i have a pong video made, i just havent had the time to throw it together and get it up on here Tongue probably sometime today that'll be up... i'll probably take a look at sir-tet later today as well... galactic wars is still in a basic beta (apparently there's something majorly wrong with level 3 lol) so i'll probably wait a little on that one until it's more stable

[edit- keep in mind that i'm open to submissions so if anyone wants to help out *hint hint*, post your stuff and i'll add it to the main^ up there... it's hard for me to keep up with all of the new additions Shocked ]

Level 3 should be good to go as far as I know. What I tried to elude to in the post is that Level 3 is a bit different from the first two. All of a sudden you are thrown gigantic enemies that tend not to die. As the level gets closer to the end it gets quite a bit harder too, spawning an enemy every quarter of a second.
dragonlance
zune n00bie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 02:45:25 AM »

Shocked Great games...Thanks for the effort. Cheesy

I remember that kind of games when I was a kid.. Cheesy

yellowpin
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 11:26:54 PM »

Cool cool, i like it.
do you have any more informations about this?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:36:24 PM by yellowpin » Logged
nichakoon
zune n00bie

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 06:50:54 PM »

Thanks for information.

CTRL
zune n00bie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 08:30:18 PM »

Thanks for information. Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Got a Kindle? Join our Kindle forum.

Zunerama is an independent website and is not affiliated with Microsoft. Zune, Zune Marketplace, and Zune Social are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
(c) 2006 - 2008 Zunerama. All Rights Reserved.
Top Zune Sites Microsoft Zune Player Top Site List